Re: how to boot in les than 8 minutes

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 13:35:15 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 18 oct 14, 11:29:32, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> >
> >   I still noticed a curious fact
> >   Impossible to find what package provides /etc/samba/smb.conf
> >   "apt-file search smb.conf" only gives /usr/share/samba/smb.conf,
> >   from samba-common.
> >   /usr/share/samba/smb.conf and /etc/samba/dmb.conf are strictly
> > identical Nevertheless, if I remove /etc/samba/smb.conf, the
> > reinstall of samba or samba-common fails
>
> I'm guessing /usr/share/samba/smb.conf is copied
> to /etc/samba/smb.conf in some postinst script (probably of
> samba-common).
>
> It's been a while since trying out samba, but I seem to recall
> editing smb.conf was a must, so marking it as dpkg-conffile would now
> work so well ;)

Bear in mind that the full samba system is only required for a server
i.e. a machine offering shares, only the client parts are needed to
access shares elsewhere, and they do not generally need central
configuration. Shares mounted by cifs through /etc/fstab will have
access configuration built in there. Linux smb access software mostly
doesn't worry about Windows workgroup names.

Yes, there were samba issues just after my switch to systemd on my old
installation. I'm curious as to why someone thought that five *minutes*
was an appropriate timeout for trying to close smb shares. As far as I
can see, on a local network, if it hasn't happened in about ten seconds
plus any actual cache writing time, it's never going to happen. I've
also seen a lot of failures to close cifs shares before removing
networking in sid over the years (who knew that you shouldn't shut down
networking until *after* the sessions are closed?), though the normal
timeout then is a mere two minutes.

--
Joe