Re: how to boot in les than 8 minutes

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:15:01 -0700 (MST)
Buntunub <mckisicd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pierre Frenkiel wrote
> > hi,
> > it seems that tha last version of systemd in jessie (215-5+b1)
> > has a big number of bugs, among which the very long time to
> > shutdown, mainly
> > for samba (5 minutes). Trying to kill samba manually before the
> > shutdown did not solve the problem.
>
> If this is the future with Systemd, then all the more reason to
> ensure we maintain more seasoned init systems, which we know work
> without issues like this. Has Debian utterly forgotten its roots of
> stability and conservative approach to adopting experimental software
> in its stable releases?

Hey, I hate systemd as much as the next guy, but the diagnosis implied
by the OP's quoted text is nowhere near ready to declare systemd as the
root cause. Contrarily, the fact that his shutting down manually
reproduced his symptom makes it unlikely that any PID1, including
systemd, is responsible. My suspicion at this point would be either a
flaw in his smb.conf (which is easy to test by temporarily replacing it
with a minimal) or Samba itself.

It turned out he was starting two of them, one by systemd and one
elsewhere. Umm, err, blush, I recently had the exact same problem with
daemontools!

SteveT