Fwd: download files from iceweasel using kdialog

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
Apologies - I forgot to include this this:-

Previously I have had the *alternative* file picker thingy (I assume
that's what you meant by "kdialog") working instead of the default
iceweasel one - but the experience was flaky and breaks on upgrades.

Yes. That is what I am after.

NOTE: it *still* uses GTK not QT. Use an Iceweasel theme and KDE QT
configurator to make it "look" like QT.

about:config -> filter for "ui.allow_platform_file_picker"
set the boolean value to "false" (double-click on it)

I tried this. The resulting file dialog is somewhat different but not same as kdialog. For example, in the kdialog window opened from chromium, if I click on the drop down where the directory name is displayed, it shows a list of directories into which files were stored recently. This feature is very useful.

However, after setting the ui.platform_file_picket to false, the directories listed under "Look in:" are just directories under the same tree. For example, they are as below
/home/username/dir1/dir2/dir3
/home/username/dir1/dir2/
/home/username/dir1/
/home/username/
 /home
/
This is rarely useful for me and involves multiple clicks before I get to the correct destination directory.

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/