Re: alternative file systems

On 19/10/14 00:14, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:06:17 +0400
> Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Hi.
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:24:16 -0400
>> Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

Thought the context has been removed from the quote...
Reasons I've been given (roughly in order of occurrence):- because it
cost a lot of money (for some value is relative to cost), because their
apps/developers demand it, because that's what the cheque signers
recognise, because it works for them, because they feel comfortable
doing what the Jones are doing.
If it did eat files for those that pay the big money - they wouldn't
continue using it, though they might sack the administrators.

The reasons given may not be the real reasons - my "impression" is that
having made the choice (as the result of a deep emotional investment)
they're unwilling to reassess their original opinion (which would
challenge the reliability of their "gut" instinct".

Alternatively, why buy a Rolls Royce?

>>> I thought Postgres was supposed to be powerful, stable, reliable,
>>> and great for lots of data.
>>
>> Storing all your data in Postgres is surely possible, but what about
>> convenience of doing so?
>> I mean, how easily the data (say, home videos or photo collection) can
>> be put in and retreived.

To be fair, implementation and the management system are major factors
in determining "it's" usability.

>> Reco
>
> I think comm got crossed. Somebody had asked why we use Oracle, someone
> else said that was a safe DBMS, and I said "what about Postgres. I
> would never, never, NEVER store file data like home video or photos in
> a DBMS.

That's a perfectly valid personal choice, others (e.g. professional
photographers and web developers) find image databases *indispensable* -
especially when working with large (and very large) numbers of images.
FOSS candidates include personal/professional image database-based
programs like DigiKam, server apps like MediaGoblin, OpenDAM, and many
others.
As to choice of db - that's another personal choice, for every variation
there's someone who'll point out the failing, in their 'experience'
(mysql, postgres, nosql, etc, etc) there's a large and reputable
company/site/institution that swears by it. And it that choice fails
(eats files) there's usually an integrity checking and backup solution
that someone says will fix it (if only the complainant had implement them).
Flickr, Imgur, Youtube, Deviantart, and huge number of related sites
seem to do OK... (and I'm specifically limiting my comments to Open
Source - Adobe is another kettle of fish).

I've had problems with half a dozen types of databases, and trouble free
experiences with the same ones using different applications. I'd also
note that others have had different experiences with the same
applications. Implementation and use are major factors.

Kind regards