Re: alternative file systems (was: Re: lvm: creating a snapshot)

 Hi.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 03:20:50 +0200
lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:

> > The license of ZFS makes it impossible to be part of
> > the kernel per se. The DKMS system is well known for supporting kernel
> > modules for video and wireless hardware among others.
>
> So there isn't really any way to tell whether it works or not?

ZFS is out-of-tree kernel module. It *will* break sooner or later. Every
out-of-tree module does.

>  Which
> kernel version is ZFS based on/for?

[1] tells us that ZFS on Linux verion 0.6.3 supports kernels 2.6.26 -
3.16.

> Btrfs wouldn't let me do RAID-5 --- perhaps 3.2 kernels are too old for
> that?

A correct guess. A recommended minimum is kernel 3.14 - [2].
But, ZFS won't allow you to make a conventional RAID5 either :)

> They need to get these license issues fixed ...

Back in the old days CDDL was chosen by Sun especially so that
this license issue would *never* be fixed.
Currently Oracle could re-license ZFS to anything they want, including
GPL-compatible license, but why would *they* do it?

[1] http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html
[2]
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/btrfs/post_2014-03-23_Btrfs-Raid5-Status.html

Reco