alternative file systems (was: Re: lvm: creating a snapshot)

John Holland <jholland@vin-dit.org> writes:

> I'm having very good results using their repo and DKMS system to build
> support into kernel modules. It's very easy to set up. I'm using it
> with Linux 3.2.0.

Does it work with Debians 3.16 kernels?

> The license of ZFS makes it impossible to be part of
> the kernel per se. The DKMS system is well known for supporting kernel
> modules for video and wireless hardware among others.

So there isn't really any way to tell whether it works or not?  Which
kernel version is ZFS based on/for?

Btrfs wouldn't let me do RAID-5 --- perhaps 3.2 kernels are too old for
that?

They need to get these license issues fixed ...

--
Hallowed are the Debians!