Re: Recipient validation - WAS: Re: Moderated posts?

On 10/16/2014 at 06:37 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> Please do not send to me directly, I am on the list.
>
> On 10/15/2014 3:15 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/15/2014 12:40 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:

>>> The status code is not *sent* anywhere - it is a response
>>> directly to the connecting machine.
>
>> Then how does it get back to the sending server?  Magic?
>
> Can you not read? The CONNECTING MACHINE - the one that was directly
> talking to YOUR server - is responmsible for that part of the
> transaction. Spambots DO NOT DO THIS.

I think there's a miscommunication here.

I think that what you are calling the "connecting machine" is the same
thing as what he is calling the "sending server".

In both cases, I believe what is being referred to is "the machine to
which the 'status code' will be sent".

And I believe he's trying to (implicitly and passive-aggressively) point
out is that the "status code" itself A: is a message, however tiny, and
B: is "sent" from your "receiving server" to the "sending
server"/"connecting machine" - and that, thus, a message is sent back.

There are so many terms in this which appear to be being defined
differently by the two sides of the discussion, it's no surprise that
there's been so little real communication here; it's almost more
surprising that there's been as much as there has.

>>> It is then the responsibility of that machine that was talking to
>>> your server to pass the response code back to the originating
>>> *server* (not the sender of the email - there is a difference).
>
>> I didn't say the sender of the email.
>
> Maybe not, but I have no desire to go back through this thread to
> see whether you ever did or not. You are apparently incapable of
> communicating with semantic precision, so this time I'm really done.

I don't think he's incapable of it; I think he's trying to browbeat you
into accepting his terminology, by intentionally refusing to explain his
meaning rather than simply point out where you didn't match it, so that
you have to "figure out" for yourself what that meaning is - probably
because figuring something out for yourself tends to lead to a deeper
and more personally acceptable understanding.

Which is fine enough up to a point, but past that point becomes a form
of bad argument, and IMO we are very much past that point.

--
   The Wanderer