Re: Recipient validation - WAS: Re: Moderated posts?

On 10/14/2014 11:17 AM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 8:05 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> If you think I'm kidding, please by all means go make these silly
>> statements on the postfix list and I'll just sit and watch the fun.

> You don't read very well.  This has nothing to do with emails to a valid
> address.  A large amount of that spam goes to invalid addresses.  I see
> them go through the logs regularly.

I read fine. The 'silly statements' reference was about your suggestion
that it is in any way shape or form 'ok' to *accept* mail to invalid
recipients then send it to dev/null.

>>> To bounce all of those invalid addresses not only would further
>>> increase the amount of junk on the internet,

>> That is pure and absolute nonsense. The vast majority of spam comes from
>> botnets, and *rejecting* garbage from these results in ZERO additional
>> smtp traffic.

> Wrong.  Rejecting garbage sends a message back to the originator,

No, it doesn't. It closes the connection with a response code.

The system that had opened the connection and was attempting to send the
email is the one responsible for 'sending a message back to the originator'.

Well, *if* the system talking to your server is the originating server,
that is.

If, on the other hand, there were relays involvbed, then it would simply
relay the response code back down the chain until it got to the
originating server.

This is very simple to validate. I suggest you do so before compounding
your error in public.

> increasing the traffic.  Simply dropping them, as I do, does not.

Given an identical mail transaction, with an email with a size of 1MB:

If I reject the mail at the RCPT-TO stage, then I only accepted a few
bytes of traffic before terminating the connection with an SMTP response
(error) code. The connecting machine then decides whether to pass the
response back or not (again, a few bytes at most).

If you *accept* the mail, then you accepted the entire 1MB of traffic.

So, who is responsible for more traffic in such a case?

>>> but by not replying, servers tell the spammers what are valid email
>>> addresses.

>> More nonsense. Security through obscurity *never* works, and only, in
>> this case totally breaks SMTP.

> Wrong on two counts.  First of all, the false notion "Security through
> obscurity *never* works".  This has nothing to do with security.

You said you were concerned about telling spammers valid emails. Why are
you concerned about that if not from a security perspective?

> And BTW, that statement is also wrong - why do you think people are
> encouraged to use obscure passwords if it doesn't work? But that's
> another subject.

Lol! Not even in the same ballpark, Jerry. Passwords, by their very
nature, are intended to be difficult/impossible to 'guess'.

To suggest that this is even in the same universe as 'security through
obscurity' is ludicrous.

> On the second count - please point out exactly which RFC I am violating
> that "breaks SMTP".

You don't necessarily need to explictly violate any give RFC to 'break
SMTP', Jerry.

Breaking recipient validation defacto breaks SMTP. It tells the sending
server that everything is OK, when it isn't. It allows someone who

>>> Finally, as for "...undermine confidence in the reliability of the
>>> Internet's mail systems..." - it hasn't been reliable since spammers
>>> virtually took over the email.  And even when emails were rejected, it
>>> still was no indication the recipient got the message.
>>
>> Of course it wasn't, but it was certainly a positive indication that the
>> recipient did *not* receive it (as long as the sending server is
>> properly configured).

> And why should I care if a bot finds out the message has not been received?

No one should. What I do care about is if the President of NBC typos an
email address to our President when sending an important email, I want
him to know the email didn't make it.

>>> BTW - by definition, any messages to any of the domains I manage without
>>> a valid email address are "seriously fraudulent or otherwise inappropriate".
>>>
>> Really?
>
> Yes
>
>> So when the President/CEO of XYZ Corporation, who does business with a
>> customer whose domain happens to be managed by you, accidentally typos
>> an email address, you consider that a 'seriously fraudulent or otherwise
>> inappropriate' email?

> Yes.

Please explain what is *Seriously Fraudulent* or *otherwise
inappropriate* about a typo in the recipient address of an otherwise
perfectly legitimate email, Jerry.

> Just like a misaddressed letter at the post office. It will not
> necessarily be returned.

While not a perfect analogy (big difference between totally automated
systems and systems that have imperfect humans (postoffice workers) in
the mix), it is still generally wrong.

I have had more than one letter/package returned because it was
misaddressed in my lifetime - but of course, this does require that you
actually put a valid return address on it. But I guess maybe you are
against that too?

>> You must not have any real commercial customers, because I would imagine
>> you would be a prime target for lawsuits for losing emails like this, as
>> it would only be a matter of time before it was something important sent
>> by someone important to someone else important.

> I have enough, and there are no valid emails lost.

And you know this because you check every single email that you 'drop'
to make sure it wasn't a legitimate email with a typo in the recipient
address?

You have lost all credibility with me Jerry.

>> That said, I do have an email template I send to our users regularly
>> explaining why/how email should never be considered 100% reliable, and
>> if they ever send an email that has money riding on it being received,
>> they should follow it up with a phone call to make sure it actually was
>> received. I guess people like you are one of the reasons I have that
>> template and need to send it out on occasion.

> Ah, so even you admit email is not reliable.

Of course... mostly due to people who mis-configure servers, either
accidentally, through ignorance, or even intentionally (like you are
advocating).

> If it were, why would you encourage your people to follow up with a
> phone call? After all, if they didn't get a reject message, the email
> MUST have gone through.

Again - because:

 a) mistakes happen, and
 b) because of people like *you*...