Re: Recipient validation - WAS: Re: Moderated posts?

On 10/14/2014 8:05 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 10/13/2014 9:53 PM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> Not a grey area at all.  "...dropping mail > without notification of the
>> sender is permitted...".  As for the "...long tradition and community
>> expectations..." - that's nice, but according to some estimates,
>> spammers now account for over 90% of the email traffic on the internet.
>
> And there are very simple ways to eliminate 90+% of that very simply
> (postfix+postscreen, without any additional tools), without risk of
> rejecting *any* legitimate email, and without *breaking SMTP*, which is
> what you are advocating.
>
> By adding a few simple additional tools (amavisd-new+spamassassin), you
> can easily deal with the remaining 9.9%...
>
> If you think I'm kidding, please by all means go make these silly
> statements on the postfix list and I'll just sit and watch the fun.

You don't read very well.  This has nothing to do with emails to a valid
address.  A large amount of that spam goes to invalid addresses.  I see
them go through the logs regularly.

>> To bounce all of those invalid addresses not only would further
>> increase the amount of junk on the internet,
>
> That is pure and absolute nonsense. The vast majority of spam comes from
> botnets, and *rejecting* garbage from these results in ZERO additional
> smtp traffic.

Wrong.  Rejecting garbage sends a message back to the originator,
increasing the traffic.  Simply dropping them, as I do, does not.

>> but by not replying, servers tell the spammers what are valid email
>> addresses.
>
> More nonsense. Security through obscurity *never* works, and only, in
> this case totally breaks SMTP.

Wrong on two counts.  First of all, the false notion "Security through
obscurity *never* works".  This has nothing to do with security.  And
BTW, that statement is also wrong - why do you think people are
encouraged to use obscure passwords if it doesn't work?  But that's
another subject.

On the second count - please point out exactly which RFC I am violating
that "breaks SMTP".

>> Finally, as for "...undermine confidence in the reliability of the
>> Internet's mail systems..." - it hasn't been reliable since spammers
>> virtually took over the email.  And even when emails were rejected, it
>> still was no indication the recipient got the message.
>
> Of course it wasn't, but it was certainly a positive indication that the
> recipient did *not* receive it (as long as the sending server is
> properly configured).

And why should I care if a bot finds out the message has not been received?

>> There is, and never has been a reliable end-to-end verification of email
>> messages.
>
> Well, that at least is true.
>
>> BTW - by definition, any messages to any of the domains I manage without
>> a valid email address are "seriously fraudulent or otherwise inappropriate".
>
> Really?

Yes

> So when the President/CEO of XYZ Corporation, who does business with a
> customer whose domain happens to be managed by you, accidentally typos
> an email address, you consider that a 'seriously fraudulent or otherwise
> inappropriate' email?

Yes.  Just like a misaddressed letter at the post office.  It will not
necessarily be returned.

> You must not have any real commercial customers, because I would imagine
> you would be a prime target for lawsuits for losing emails like this, as
> it would only be a matter of time before it was something important sent
> by someone important to someone else important.

I have enough, and there are no valid emails lost.

> That said, I do have an email template I send to our users regularly
> explaining why/how email should never be considered 100% reliable, and
> if they ever send an email that has money riding on it being received,
> they should follow it up with a phone call to make sure it actually was
> received. I guess people like you are one of the reasons I have that
> template and need to send it out on occasion.

Ah, so even you admit email is not reliable.  If it were, why would you
encourage your people to follow up with a phone call?  After all, if
they didn't get a reject message, the email MUST have gone through.

Jerry