Re: Moderated posts?

On 13/10/2014 2:34 AM, Martin Read wrote:
> On 12/10/14 15:53, lee wrote:
>> And when they are filtered, does the sender get a message telling him
>> that their message hasn't been delivered?
>
> The requirement in RFC 2821 (the successor to RFC 821 which you've
> recently been referring to) section 4.2.5 that a server which issues a
> 2yz completion status after final dot must return appropriate
> notification to the sender cannot be fulfilled is an unreasonable demand
> in the modern era.
>
> If you wait for all filtering to complete before issuing a response to
> final dot, your mail server is vulnerable to denial-of-service attacks
> unless you undercook your filtering; if you issue a 2yz status before
> filtering is complete, then send the notifications demanded by RFC 2821
> if the deferred filtering results in a rejection, your mail server is
> now a public nuisance because of the amount of backscatter it generates.

Yes, but I think the mail is properly delivered and not filtered by the
receiving mail list server; it is later checked over by some process of
the list-master [automatic, scripted, manual or a combination thereof]
-- yes, we now have a list-master that we never had before.  It should
be the responsibility of the list-master to provide return emails to
person(s) effected.  I've also put it to that person (assuming the one
whom email me is the list-master), that we need a list where we can talk
more freely about our concerns -- this list seems to have been over
reaching on it's goals since ... forever, now the powers that be have
decided to clamp down hard, hence the filtered/moderated posts that we
all know about and which cannot be denied as it has been fully proven.

I could be speaking too soon, but either the list has died down a little
on systemd as a result of people having enough of trying to bang their
head against a brick wall -- or the filtering has ramped up a level now.

There is an amazing level of resistance to care what us users and
sysadmins think of the changes dictated by the vote of the Tech CTTE and
such consequences.  One can only hope the message is finally getting
through to at least enough DDs to result in an appropriate GR that leads
to a genuine and fair vote to put this matter to bed.  At least then,
we'll know if we need to jump ship to perhaps kFreeBSD, FreeBSD or some
other Linux that refuses to be roped in to the systemd nightmare that we
are seeing strong evidence of here.  Myself, I would be looking at
kFreeBSD as the next best alternative and if that suffers over this,
then a full migration away from Debian to a direct use of FreeBSD.

A.