Re: alternative file systems

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:

> On 10/10/2014 10:20 PM, lee wrote:
>>> The license of ZFS makes it impossible to be part of
>>> the kernel per se. The DKMS system is well known for supporting kernel
>>> modules for video and wireless hardware among others.
>> So there isn't really any way to tell whether it works or not?  Which
>> kernel version is ZFS based on/for?
>>
>> Btrfs wouldn't let me do RAID-5 --- perhaps 3.2 kernels are too old for
>> that?
>>
>> They need to get these license issues fixed ...
>
> There's a userland ZFS package (via Fuse) available in debian in the
> zfs-fuse package. It should be pretty much independent of kernel versions.

Yes, and I've been reading it's deprecated do to zfs with fuse.  Perhaps
it's great to try out ZFS, and you still won't really find out if it
would work or not.

And I'd want to be able to boot from ZFS, which is even difficult with
btrfs.  In any case, there is a very noticeable performance loss with
software RAID.  I wonder why they don't make ZFS controllers just like
RAID controllers ...

--
Hallowed are the Debians!