Re: question about systemd

* On 2014 09 Oct 19:03 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> Half the distros I've used couldn't mount flash drives. If systemd
> takes away that ability, screw it, I'll do what I've always done, have
> mount NOPASSORD in sudoers, and write a little shellscript, a couple
> keystrokes called by dmenu, that mounts and tells the mountpoint. Maybe
> even cd's to it within an xterm session.
>
> Of course, I run a one person desktop. No way I'd do that on a server.
>
> LOL, the more people bust old features putting in new features, the
> more I kludge.

I just went ahead and went back to sysvinit-core and in the process
started purging packages in Aptitude!  At the end policykit, packagekit,
rtkit, and systemd were excised and a whole host of other stuff I
couldn't find a reason to keep.  Guess what, Thunar now gives me
read/write permission when mounting my flash drive due to an old line in
/etc/fstab.  However, it doesn't show up on the Xfce desktop.  :-(  I
can live with that, however.

I had gotten my wireless network adapter working through
/etc/network/interfaces a few days ago so had already purged
NetworkManager.  This is on my main desktop machine and I still have all
of this stuff installed on my laptop since I prefer convenience when
using it.  Here I want speed and very little in my way for development.

All this new stuff just covered up and destroyed what I had working in
the past.  As I'm the only user, this is now acceptable behavior.  At
the very least, I am starting to look at all of the installed packages
as to what they do for me, not to me.  ;-)

- Nate