Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014, Harry Putnam wrote:
> The current one I'm stumbling over is
>
> 1)  A question about listing of host IPs the smtp listener will
>     listen for...

This almost certainly reads "listen on", not "listen for".

> And then later on there is
> 2) A question about which hosts your server will relay for.
>
> (NOTE: These question do not appear back to back as I have them here)
>
> I probably have this all wrong but isn't the first question referring
> to remote IPs that will be using the server as smtp server.

No, it's the set of addresses that the server will listen on. Usually
0.0.0.0 is what you actually want, because that means listen on all
addresses on all interfaces.

> And the second one, is referring to using the server as smart host?
> which is also as an smtp server.

The second is asking for the set of IP addresses which can use the
server as a smart host. That is, remote addresses for which the smart
host will relay mail without requiring authentication. Normally, that
should only be addresses on your local network. So something like
192.168.0.0/23 or similar.

Do not make this over-broad, or your host will be an open relay.

> That is, they are the same question in different words.

No, they're different questions. The first is for local addresses to
listen on, the second is for remote addresses to relay mail for.

Show me your flowcharts and conceal your tables, and I shall continue
to be mystified. Show me your tables, and I won't usually need your
flowcharts; they'll be obvious.
 -- Fredrick P. Brooks Jr., The Mythical Man Month