Re: Debian policy on alternate init systems

On 09/28/2014 08:20 PM, Marty wrote:
On 09/28/2014 09:25 AM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
   As a disclaimer, the easy path to
continued across board interoperability may have been successfully
addressed in a Debian-User email that is simply waiting its turn to be
read..

I'm saving it for my next message :)

I was just bored when I wrote that, but it's finally time to act. Thankfully the problem is its own solution, and we can end the debate.

Problem: If haters remove systemd, it politely cleans up after itself by removing most of their packages, but we have no equivalent solution.

We need a better test for interoperability. My systemd cleanup tool provides consistency and metrics for a systemd-ready package standard.

A popup dialog gives ample time to correct a violation, before package quarantine, removal and optional replacement. User choice is respected.

So what about packages in transition to full compliance? We just make the cleanup tool a hard dependency, a line in the sand for upstreams.

To protect the software chain of trust, background checking and cleanup will soon be mandatory, but it will keep users' best interests in mind.

For added convenience a friendly applet shows your compliance status. The sad face gnome means trouble ahead, a happy face means all is well.

I wanted to call it "systemd-rulez" but they said any connection to systemd would provoke the conspiracy nuts. Possible names include:

gnome-ossify (descriptive)
d-mobilize (inspiring)
d-nukem (bold)
d-boss (short and to the point)

Let me know which name you prefer. We have until the Jessie freeze to decide. Welcome to your compatible, interoperable systemd future.