Re: MDADM RAID1 of external USB 3.0 Drives

On 09/30/2014 01:40 AM, lee wrote:

[...]

> I think I figured it out: The USB stuff was actually going to sleep and
> remained unresponsive once it fell asleep, until a reboot.  I used
> powertop to disable the power management for USB and didn't have any
> further issues since.
>
> It might be worthwhile to check just to make sure that your disks aren't
> disconnected at some time because something goes to sleep ...

After your recommendation of powertop I just used it on my mouse and
keyboard and could reproduce almost exactly what you describe here:
After a while of inactivity, the mouse would no longer respond to moving
and I had to click a button in order for it to become active again. The
keyboard behaved similar: After a short while, the background-light went
off and I had to press a key to re-enable it. Interestingly, when
pressing two keys very quickly, one of them was always lost, which is
why I reverted the state of mouse and keyboard to "Bad" (as powertop
calls it).

I have not tried this on the USB disks yet, because I want to avoid yet
another rebuild right now, but sooner or later I will try it.

[...]

>> I do not like Windows either, but it is /common/. This means that if I
>> ever lose data and system and need to rely on the backup, it will be a
>> great advantage to be able to recover at least the essential parts from
>> a Windows machine which is easier to get access to than a Linux machine.
>
> Even with live DVDs and the like?

I have seen systems where none of my live systems would boot (even
Memtest86+ sometimes failed to start). On these systems, the installed
Windows started without (major) problems. Today, there is also UEFI
Secure Boot to consider (I have recently read about a normal laptop
where it can not be disabled): I have not tried to make my live systems
work on any UEFI system because I do not have a system available for
testing.

>> Interestingly, I also know of a 512 MB and a 1 GB stick which are old
>> and still working. The ones, I saw failing were one 16 GB model and a
>> few 2 GB models all of which were built when 16 GB costed less than 40€,
>> i.e. they were rather "new".
>
> Last time I looked into buying an USB stick, I found out that I'd be
> better off buying an USB disk because the sticks were so expensive and
> their capacity relatively low, so I bought an USB disk.  The USB disk
> failed shortly after I got it ...

It highly depends on what one needs: I use USB sticks solely for data
transport where it is typically more important for the stick to be small
and shock-resistant. So far, 8 GB have always been enough for my
data-transports (mainly PDF documents, source code, etc.)

Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.lima-city.de/