Re: MDADM RAID1 of external USB 3.0 Drives

On 09/14/2014 04:33 PM, lee wrote:
> Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> writes:
>
>>> On 09/14/2014 12:38 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>>
>> or even buy some additional drives (I know that it is often said that
>> "today drives are cheap" but for me being comparatively new to
>> computing, 60€ are still much for a HDD)
>
> Where do you get good 2TB+ drives for only EUR 60?

In fact, I don't. That was a thoughtless aestimate and I wanted to avoid
posting a price which is more than one can currently get disks for as
this could have resulted in someone posting "you are lying, you do not
even need to pay 80€, here is one for 74€" or such.

I do not know, if you consider them "good", but here is one for 71€

http://www.reichelt.de/Interne-Festplatten-8-89cm-3-5-SATA/ST2000DM001/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=2&ARTICLE=121092&GROUPID=6136&artnr=ST2000DM001

>>> Goodness, an HP Microserver fully made and ready for four drives costs about twice the cost
>>> of a 4TB internal drive.
>
> +1
>
> These also have ECC RAM, and when a 2TB RAID-1 is enough for you, you
> can as well buy one of those instead of a SAS/SATA controller or a port
> multiplier.  IIRC, they consume only about 30W, so you can probably
> connect it to your existing UPS.  You can offload services to it and
> leave it running.

I do not have a separate room to put the server into to avoid the noise
and do not like the idea of running a server all the time to only
provide storage for a single system (which is not always online).

> I considered buying one and didn't because it was difficult/impossible
> to find one that has at least 8GB RAM without spending quite a bit of
> money.  I also wanted some more processing power than the Microservers
> have, and getting real server hardware was intriguing, so I ended up
> buying a 19" server.
>
> If you only want storage (plus a firewall/router, DNS, a web server and
> an MTA, perhaps even asterisk) and don't need to run a couple VMs, a
> Microserver is a pretty much perfect choice for you.  I don't remember
> if you can put SAS disks into these; if you can, get 2 72GB SAS disks @
> 15k RPM (about EUR 10--15 each) and run them in a RAID-1 to install the
> system on.  Then remove your USB disks from their enclosure, plug them
> into the Microserver, and you're good to go.
>
> It'll cost you about EUR 200.  If that seems a lot to you, please
> consider that you get a *very* decent solution unlikely to cause any
> trouble whatsoever (which would waste your valuable time) for the next
> 10 years or so, unless a disk fails (which happens anyway).  You also
> save the cost of a router/firewall blackbox which very much limits you.

Although that is a better long-term solution (which I will likely follow
the next time any storage is to be added), I think I will stay with what
I have now and see how it performs.

> Only "problem" is that you're going to like the SAS disks and find out
> how terribly slow your USB disks are ;)

The same "problem" has already occurred when I used a "business"-class
computer for the first time -- I will never buy a "consumer"-class model
again... :)

Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.lima-city.de/