Re: MDADM RAID1 of external USB 3.0 Drives

On 09/14/2014 02:06 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 06:17:00PM +0200, Linux-Fan wrote:

[...]

>> Is there any means to configure MDADM (or such) to make sure that all
>> devices are recognized before attempting to start the array so that I
>> could manually reconnect the missing disk and then start the array
>> without any resync?
>>
>> If not, might it be a good idea to write a script to check if the
>> devices are available and only then enable that RAID?
>>
>> I want to avoid doing superflous resyncs as this always takes a lot of
>> time and seems to be an unnecessary load for the drives.
>
> What's actually happening here is that mdadm is rejecting one or
> the other disk because of a problem reading or writing to that.
>
> It's almost certainly a real problem, and in my experience it is
> not the disk itself which is bad, but something in the path (the
> USB port, the USB cable, the USB-SATA interface) or the power
> supply for the disk.

It might be the USB 3.0 controller -- it is a

03:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host
Controller (rev 03)

which is on a PCIe Card. Still, it is the only USB 3.0 controller which
I could get to work without Kernel Oops and the only one to normally get
a stable USB 3.0 connection.

> You will continue to have these problems if you persist in doing
> this, up until the day that one disk actually fails. Time to do
> something else. If you can change to ESATA or invest in a SAS
> controller and external SAS multi-disk chassis, you can get
> reliable data storage again.

Neither the computer, nor the disks do have ESATA unfortunately and
investing in SAS -- while being reliable -- is too expensive at the
moment. Also, the reliability of the external storage is required to be
perfect -- it is mainly designed to be a storage for various media which
could be collected from other sources but would be tedious to find again
and is therefore better stored locally. Also, I am going to store a few
VMs, but these are also mainly used for testing purposes.

> In the meantime, you can:
> - add a bitmap file to the RAID, which will speed up rebuilds.
> - use the --no-degraded flag, to prevent assembly of a RAID that
>   is lacking a disk.

Thank you very much for these hints. I am going to try both.

Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.lima-city.de/