Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

 Hi.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:42:36AM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >About the only thing that I'm missing here is why would anyone should
> >compile anything on a production server, Xen's dom0 specifically (as it
> >seems to be the main lee's concern).
>
> I do it all the time.  Packaging of some of the things we run on our
> list and web servers tends to run behind upstream, sometimes by
> quite a bit.
> "./configure; make install" is pretty much as easy as apt-get install

Well, 'make install' was always easier compared to the 'apt-get
install'. 'apt-get upgrade' and 'apt-get purge' are usually hard
to implement Slackware-style :)

> As a general rule, I find that I use packaged software for all of
> our base capabilities (utilities, dns, time, and so forth), and
> build from upstream source for the production systems.

I hear you, but your example is somewhat incomplete. How often do you
run into problems that can be attributed to the multiarch? Is there any
valid usecase in mixing binaries from different architectures on a
single server (without virtualization, of course)? Is there anything in
current Debian's multiarch implementation that contradicts your current
compile-from-the-source practice?

Reco