Re: funny text in bash history

2014/09/28 20:40 "The Wanderer" <wanderer@fastmail.fm>:

> On 09/28/2014 at 07:17 AM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
>
> > On 9/27/14, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Booted this morning, started my usual pattern of bringing the
> >> appropriate apt-get commands up from history. (I'm lazy, okay?)
> >>
> >> Had a bunch of  unicode proxies and a reference to a backup
> >> directory that I haven't accessed in several months in my most
> >> recent three lines, then the history that should have been
> >> there.
> >>
> >> I can suppose that the arrow keys got accidentally pushed and
> >> brought up some really old line of history, but I'd like to hear
> >> if anyone else has seen history strangeness in the last several
> >> days.
>
> No, can't say that I have. I'm guessing that something has messed with
> your ~/.bash_history file, but I can't think what might do it in that
> way.

And I'm a little worried about what would have done the messing. This happened just after updating for the recent vulnerability.

[...]

Doesn't look like anyone else is seeing this at this time.

For the time being, that box is off-line. I'm doing post-mortem *practice* on it as I have time, just in case. Hoping I can tie it into something reasonable, like me dozing at the keyboard.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text