Re: Re: funny text in bash history

> I do A LOT of computing from terminals... and use arrow up and down
> ALL THE TIME.. Autocomplete would so ROCK!

"Tab completion" is the key phrase.

Assuming you use bash: When you want to complete a command or
filename, press the Tab key. If the choices are ambiguous, you'll need
to press Tab again.

You can fine-tune the tab-completion behaviour with variables in
~/.inputrc - run "man bash" and search for "Readline Variables" for
details.

That's just for starters. Install the bash-completion package,
un-comment the code in ~/.bashrc following the "enable programmable
completion features" comment, and start a new shell.

Now when you start typing and press Tab, it will offer all sorts of
completions in context, e.g. command options, hostnames, and more.

Rock on!

--
Cheers,
Clive