Re: There is no choice

On 09/23/2014 at 12:21 PM, Reco wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 12:04:33PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> As best I can dredge it up quickly, the dependency chain is:
>>
>> gimp -> libgegl-0.2-0 -> libsdl1.2debian -> libpulse0 ->
>> libsystemd-id128-0
>
> Close, but no cigar :) On this system libsystemd-id128-0 is not
> installed, and aptitude tells me:
>
> $ aptitude why libsystemd-id128-0 i   rdesktop Suggests pcscd p
> pcscd    Suggests systemd p   systemd  Depends  libsystemd-id128-0
> (>= 38)
>

> Maybe it's different for testing.

I got that chain as follows:

1. Run the following command to get a list of systemd-related packages
which are installed:
    dpkg -l "*systemd*" | grep ii

2. Starting out with an appropriately-selected package from that list,
run the following command:
    apt-get --dry-run install gimp [packagename]-

3a. If step 2 produced a successful removal run, then that wasn't a
package which gimp actually depends on; go back and choose a different
package from step 1.

3b. If step 2 produced a "packages have unmet dependencies" failure,
repeat step 2, with the package name listed as "is not going to be
installed" from the failure message.

Eventually, you will get back to a point where the package name involved
in step 3b is on the gimp dependency list.

The package I ended up with is libgegl-0.2-0. If you get a different
result, I might be interested in hearing the details.

(AFAIK this procedure can be used for tracking down any dependency
chain, as long as it's only a single chain rather than a branching one;
it's not specific to systemd.)

> I'd point to libsystemd-login0, which get pulled by dbus, but the
> thing is that I cannot understand why blame gimp for systemd's
> dependencies if dbus is the real cause of 'trouble'.

Probably because the specific dbus services which these things are
depending on are provided by code that runs inside of systemd. (Or by
systemd-shim, but that's a back-implementation, covering up for the
problems caused by having such services provided only by systemd.)

My understanding is that dbus itself is merely a communications method,
and that what programs actually depend on are specific services which
are available over dbus. Which results in an implicit dependency on
dbus, but dbus itself isn't to blame for problems with those services.

- --
   The Wanderer