Re: There is no choice

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:31:57AM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> Obviously it is important enough to enough users that it continues here.
>  And shutting people up is not going to make the problem go away.  It
> will, however, make users go away.  I, for one, am looking at other
> systems now.  And I think it is highly likely this path will force
> another fork of Debian, as occurred when Ubuntu forked.

Ubuntu started as a friendly fork: as someone said at the time "If we
could have got away with calling it Debian for desktops, we would have
done" - notably, they still pull from Debian and build on it.

Using systemd requires work and testing: not using systemd requires
work, testing and forking your oun distribution in the teeth of almost
every distribution, desktop environment and active development stream.

That may not be pleasant - but it's about the size of it. For me, I don't
care about desktops on most of my systems: I have been using systemd on
a couple of machines and working well for me at the moment: if I were building
systems with KDE and GNOME for others, I'd be bound to use systemd.

Moving further out in the ecosystem - if my work uses Red Hat and systemd,
then persuading folk to try Debian on the same hardware with the same commands
they are already using won't be as hard. Red Hat 7 is using systemd - all the
Red Hat courses have already switched.

Jessie freezes no later than November 5th 2014. Allow folk who are trying to
work on the distribution to work on it and not to have to intervene in this
sort of discussion, please.