Re: There is no choice

Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/21/2014 07:37 AM, Martin Read wrote:
>
>> My mileage varies; in my experience, Debian in 2014 is a higher-quality
>> distribution than Debian in 2004. The obvious example is that sound (for
>> all practical purposes) Just Works on my current Debian system (all I
>> had to do was pop open pavucontrol and tweak the sliders), whereas in
>> 2004 or 2006 it definitely didn't Just Work.
>
> I agree 100%. For MY needs, with many different audio sources, pulse
> works a charm. One click, instead of hand edits to some file, and I
> can change to any of them instantly, and that is a huge leap
> forward. Granted it is not the audiophile's dream, for commercial
> production, but for the average Joe Lunchbucket it works fine. :) Ric

You mean pulseaudio?  That thing sucks horribly by eating lots of CPU
time, making it impossible to fix sound problems and has no advantages
to your average Joe unless he needs to use a soundcard remotely over the
network perhaps --- which is something Joe wouldn't even dream of.  It
also loves to crash or do other strange things to leave you unable to
play any sound at all.  The one useful thing it could do is DRC, but it
is unable to do that.  And don't mention multiple sound cards (which Joe
can't even imagine to have) ...

It took too long before I finally was able to get rid of it on Fedora.
It was really getting on my nerves.

Fortunately, you don't even need to install it on Debian.  Fortunately,
those who like it can install it.

An advancement was alsa replacing OSS.  Afaik that's not a Debian
specific thing, and pulseaudio isn't either.  Yet pulseaudio is an
example for all the things you never need and which are difficult to get
rid of.  It's one example of how the quality has declined since Debian
has picked up a lot of these never-needed-and-hard-to-get-rid-of things.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.