Re: There is no choice

Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/20/2014 04:20 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> Please stop.
>
> I agree. It's all free, so where's the beef? The Devs are free to do
> as the please. If anyone wants to do as they please, they are also
> free to do so. This ain't Windows. Ric

Of course they are free to do whatever they want.  Did anyone say
otherwise?

Now imagine that someone who would dare to say that they, for good
reasons, think that it's a bad thing that magicians working hard to
create very important supplies sit on top of high ivory towers with
their heads in the clouds and full of disregard for the supplies'
consumers for which they say that they are creating the supplies in the
first place --- for which to say they even created a social contract
saying just that, visible for everyone, mind you --- would be looked
down upon by the very magicians and be told that their criticism better
stop because some of it might be suited to deconstruct the magicians'
ivory towers and hence could spoil the magicians' willingness to create
further supplies.

Then, please ponder this imagination for a while, and you might find
that giving such an answer a lot has often times lead to overthrowing
the magicians, to their ivory towers being taken down and to a vacuum
which to fill other magicians --- or, perhaps worse, only /presumingly/
other magicians --- have sprung up from somewhere.  Pondering, you might
discover that effectively, more often than not, giving an answer as
described above a lot has brought upon everyone more misery, havoc and
destruction than appreciating the daring someone ever could ever have
because appreciating would have allowed to either create a better
situation or to convincingly show that the daring someone is mistaken.

After all this let me ask you: Isn't it somewhere along the (self-drawn)
lines of "the free software community" to appreciate daring someones?
And if it isn't, shouldn't it be?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.