Re: Whats your way of sharing data between PCs?

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 6:49 AM, PaulNM <debian@paulscrap.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 05:44 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

>>> Are you shure? I'm only aware of the unidirectional sync. The man page
>>> tells me this as description:
>>>
>>> Rsync  is  a  fast  and  extraordinarily versatile file copying tool.  It
>>> can copy locally, to/from another host over any remote shell, or to/from
>>> a remote rsync daemon.
>>>
>>> Which option enables bidirectional syncing? How are conflicts handled? I
>>> could find the infos in the man page.
>>
>> Going purely by what you have written here:
>>
>> "It can copy locally to/from another host" etc.
>>
>> To ... one direction
>> From ...  the other direction
>>
>> Bidirectional.
>>
>> Lisi
>>

> Bidirectional copying, yes.  Not bidirectional syncing.
>
> Critical difference ... :)

True, that's a critical difference, but, as pointed out elsewhere in
the thread, syncing is also not particularly direction-limited.

You just can't merge^H^H^H^H^H sync both into each other all at once.
(Also noted elsewhere in the thread.)

(Mutual merging sometimes makes sense. I'm not sure mutual syncing
does. You definitely have to be a lot more careful when you try to do
both at once, and there some things you can do one-direction-at-a-time
that you definitely should avoid trying to do both-at-once, if you
value your data.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.