Re: There is no choice

On 9/22/2014 1:57 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2014 18:03:20 Chris Bannister wrote:

>>> And why are there derivatives?  Because someone didn't like something
>>> about Debian.  To them there was a problem.
>>
>> Have you got any link to back this up. My understanding is that someone
>> creates a derivative because Debian is a good starting point - someone
>> has already done all the hard work -- all the derivatives have to do is
>> a few config changes add some eye candy and voila! :) OK, it may not be
>> that simple but hopefully you get my point.
>
> Mark Shuttleworth created Ubuntu because he wanted to give away a free linux
> system to spread the use of Linux.  He used Debian because he _did_ like it,
> not because he didn't.
>
> Lisi

And Debian isn't free?

There is a lot more to the story than you think.  For instance, he
wasn't happy with the slow update cycle.  That's why Ubuntu has a new
version out every six months or so.

Some people like the slow upgrade path (I do, for my servers - but then
I'm not doing anything fancy with them).  But a lot of people prefer the
faster upgrade cycle because it more quickly supports newer systems.

Jerry