Re: There is no choice

On 9/22/2014 1:03 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:13:10AM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> Oh Please! There are plenty of Debian derivatives. No doubt there will
>>> always be derivatives, but your insinuation that these derivatives occur
>>> because of problems within Debian, is incorrect. Please stop spreading
>>> FUD!
>>>

>> And why are there derivatives?  Because someone didn't like something
>> about Debian.  To them there was a problem.
>
> Have you got any link to back this up. My understanding is that someone
> creates a derivative because Debian is a good starting point - someone
> has already done all the hard work -- all the derivatives have to do is
> a few config changes add some eye candy and voila! :) OK, it may not be
> that simple but hopefully you get my point.

You tell ME why someone would go to all the trouble of creating and
maintaining a derivative if Debian suits their purpose.  It is not a
minor job.  It is a LOT more than "a few config changes" and "adding
some eye candy".  But I get your point.  You have no idea how much work
is involved.

> One of the reasons I like Debian is that you can install the base system
> and take it from there adding the packages you want. Some people can't
> be bothered with that and prefer an "OOTB solution", I think this is the
> reason for a derivative forming --- people have different ideas of what
> that "OOTB solution" should be.

That's fine for you.  But it doesn't fit everyone, and an OOTB solution
is NOT the only reason derivatives are created.

> Do you know of any fork/derivative which occured because of a "problem"
> within Debian? The only reason I can think of at the moment is possibly
> because of a lack of proprietry audio or video codecs.

Ubuntu, for one.  Creating and maintaining that repository is not a
minor job, even though Debian has done much of the hard work.  It is not
handled by just one person.  There are a number of people involved, each
spending quite a fair amount of time maintaining the repository.

And the lack of proprietary codecs is only ONE problem.

Jerry