Re: There is no choice

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 11:13:10AM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 9/22/2014 10:55 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:31:57AM -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> >>
> >> Obviously it is important enough to enough users that it continues here.
> >>  And shutting people up is not going to make the problem go away.  It
> >> will, however, make users go away.  I, for one, am looking at other
> >> systems now.  And I think it is highly likely this path will force
> >> another fork of Debian, as occurred when Ubuntu forked.
> >
> > Oh Please! There are plenty of Debian derivatives. No doubt there will
> > always be derivatives, but your insinuation that these derivatives occur
> > because of problems within Debian, is incorrect. Please stop spreading
> > FUD!
> >

> And why are there derivatives?  Because someone didn't like something
> about Debian.  To them there was a problem.

Have you got any link to back this up. My understanding is that someone
creates a derivative because Debian is a good starting point - someone
has already done all the hard work -- all the derivatives have to do is
a few config changes add some eye candy and voila! :) OK, it may not be
that simple but hopefully you get my point.

One of the reasons I like Debian is that you can install the base system
and take it from there adding the packages you want. Some people can't
be bothered with that and prefer an "OOTB solution", I think this is the
reason for a derivative forming --- people have different ideas of what
that "OOTB solution" should be.

Do you know of any fork/derivative which occured because of a "problem"
within Debian? The only reason I can think of at the moment is possibly
because of a lack of proprietry audio or video codecs.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X