Re: Jessie and Systemd integration

On Thu 18 Sep 2014 at 09:44:49 +0100, Joe wrote:

> This is the basic purpose of this whole set of threads. Is there
> *really* going to be a practical alternative to using systemd, and if
> so, will Debian support it? It is, for example, perfectly possible to
> use Open Office in testing or unstable but it isn't available from the
> repositories for anything later than Wheezy. But using an untracked Open
> Office won't prevent the use of anything else, except possibly
> libreoffice unless care is taken.
>
> So we're looking for some kind of direction here, hoping that someone
> who actually knows for sure will tell us whether the use of systemd as
> init will be completely unavoidable in future Debian releases. If not,
> if it will only be the 'default', then it may be worth putting a bit of
> effort into making an alternative practical.

For anyone intending to install Jessie, which is the only thing which
matters for Debian and the immediate future, the practical alternatives
and direction to take have been described many times over the past few
months. In fact, in the last few days:

  [🔎] 12092014224057.ff13b66f7de8@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 12092014224057.ff13b66f7de8@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk
  [🔎] 17092014175756.ef88cea781b0@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 17092014175756.ef88cea781b0@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk

You definitely need to do:

  apt-get install sysvinit-core

In addition you may also choose to do:
  apt-get install systemd-shim

if you decide your installation needs it.