Re: preseeding: disable systemd

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 01:55:01PM +0100, Martin Read wrote:
> On 15/09/14 01:46, Marty wrote:
> >(not OP but) I require the exclusion all packages by their dev teams
> >from my computer. Is that clear enough? Linus doesn't trust them. Why
> >should I?
>
> Just to be sure you're aware of what you're asking for: that
> includes udev, which:
>
> (a) in Debian is a hard dependency of initramfs-tools (a hard
> dependency of Debian's kernel packages), fuse, and
> xserver-xorg-core.

Of those only xserver-xorg-core uses versioned dependency on udev (and
the real obstacle would be libudev0, as wheezy's xorg can function
without udev just fine), initramfs-tools can be persuaded to use
busybox's mdev (with some equivs trickery), fuse's actual dependency is
'udev | makedev'.

Still, I agree that removing udev from Debian is non-trivial at best.

> (b) has been housed since version 184 (circa May 2012) in the
> systemd repository (although the program(s) comprising the udev
> package in Debian do not depend on systemd, systemd-logind,
> systemd-journald, or the published interfaces thereof)

Which did lead to all kinds of funny results in the past - [1].

> (c) is in large part maintained by Kay Sievers.

Oh, you mean that guy who was banned by Linus - [2]?

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/518942/

[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/420

Reco