Re: preseeding: disable systemd

On 09/14/2014 at 05:15 AM, Martin Vegter wrote:

> On 09/14/2014 02:22 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> 2014/09/13 22:06 "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk
>> <mailto:ad44@cityscape.co.uk>>:

>>> Nothing needs to clarified. The only contradictory post is
>>> based on not grasping what the OP asked.
>>
>> Is your name Martin?
>>
>> Should we ask Martin whether he would be satisfied if
>>
>> (1) systemd runs at some pid higher than 1?
>>
>> (2) systemd is loaded, but doesn't actually run at all?
>>
>> (3) systemd libraries are loaded, but systemd itself is not?
>>
>> (4) Some emulation layer provides the functionality and no code
>> from the systemd project gets to touch his disks?
>>
>> or
>>
>> (5) None of the apps he needs ask the OS to do any of the sort
>> of things that systemd uniquely does?
>>
>> I personally am not going to be satisfied unless #5 is met.
>> That's how deep I perceive the design bugs in systemd to extend.
>>
>> The marginal real functionality of systemd can and should be
>> done another way, to avoid opening huge security holes in the
>> OS.
>>
>> That few people seem to understand those holes is well apparent
>> to me, but that doesn't mean I should pretend they don't exist.
>>
>> But, of course, I am not the OP, and I don't like systemd, so I
>> don't count.
>>
>> What does Martin have to say?
>
> In my original question, I asked whether it is possible to use
> preseeding to override default init choice, so that systemd will
> not be installed.
>
> Installing systemd and having it run with pid other than 1 is not
> what I want. It is not the pid 1 that bothers me, it is systemd
> itself. I want to avoid systemd entirely

But that's still unclear, unfortunately.

Is it enough for you that systemd (the binary which would run as PID 1)
not be running, regardless of what PID it has?

Or do you require instead that systemd (the binary which would run as
PID 1) not even be present on your computer?

Or do you require instead that systemd (the collection of libraries,
daemons, et cetera, beyond just the could-be-PID-1 binary) not even be
present on your computer?

Or do you require something else?

The first is easy, but since it still ends up with systemd "installed",
I suspect that it's not what you want. It is possible to achieve this
state at the end of a preseeded install process, but (AFAICT) the system
will still pass through a state in the middle where systemd is installed
and is selected as PID 1.

The second is harder, but is a closer match for having systemd "not be
installed". Again, it can be achieved as an end-of-new-install state via
preseeding, but AFAICT you can't avoid having systemd be temporarily
present during the install process itself.

The third is much harder, and may be impossible in the current package
layout, at least without giving up important other packages like CUPS
and the GIMP.

The fourth would require clarification from you as to exactly what it is
you do require.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.