Re: server backup

Glenn English wrote:
On Sep 14, 2014, at 12:11 PM, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:

What do you server admins use for backup?
Are you talking personally or professionally?
There's no difference here. How about your answer to both? And maybe why there's a difference?

Sorry, Bzzzz, for personal reply instead of list...

We have a simple setup, and do a quick and a quick and dirty backup system that does disk-to-disk backup from one server to another server (with raided disks and DRBD to add some redundancy to the underlying storage).

Main tools is backupninja (https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/backupninja) - with ninjahelper gui (curses) for setting things up. It includes a number of scripts for different backup schemes, we use:
- the mysql script to backup databases, followed by,
- the rdiffbackup script - which, pretty obviously, uses rdiffbackup for the actual backup

For a larger installation, I might use something else - but we're basically hosting lists, a few simple web sites, and a development sandbox (where the code is backed up elsewhere).

Miles Fidelman