Re: server backup

On 09/14/2014 10:56 AM, Glenn English wrote:
What do you server admins use for backup?
For the past decade or so, I've been using a SCSI Quantum DLT 120 tape device and Amanda software. It's been wonderful, but the tape drive's been making mistakes of late, so I've been thinking about replacing it with a SATA or SAS of some kind.
What do you suggest? Is sending it to Quantum for rehab a viable option?

I use scripts, rsync, drive bays, drive caddies, and desktop hard drives:

http://www.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Black-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer-with-Shock-Absorbers-Professional-Series~DRW115SATBK

I've had good luck with StarTech bays and caddies -- one bad circuit board out of a dozen or more bays over nearly ten years.

I rotate drives off-site, so it's useful to have the drives installed in shock-mounted caddies.

David