Re: Restricted wifi after routine jessie upgrade

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 00:28:41 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 00:05:56 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 01:37:33 +0200, Bzzzz wrote:

>> Not quite true, it seems.  Now that I'm back at home, it connects to my
>> home wifi just fine. So it looks as if I have trouble only when I want
>> to connect to a different wifi than I connected to last time.  This
>> even though before the upgrade it connected fine.
>>
>> And aptitude will now talk to remte package repositories, at least when
>> I'm at home.
>>
>>> Check the status of wpa-supplicant and test w/ another wifi wrapper
>>> (such as wifi-radar).
>>
>> uh.  How do I check that status?  And how do I test with wifi-radar.
>> What I'm using, as far as I know, is the network manager, that
>> apparently being the default for xfce.
>
> Well, wifi-radar is available as a Debian package (though I can't find a
> wifi-supplicant package), and I found the wifi-radar wiki, so I suppose
> I can try that when I'm at the coffee shop next week.  Or make a special
> trip.  Testing it at home won't work -- everything works at home now.
>
> Since my last upgrade, aptitude seems to report there another 200-odd
> packages have arrived for me to upgrade.  Any chance that would help?
> Or would it make things worse or more confusing?
>
> -- hendrik

I installed wifi-radar.  The network manager no longer puts its icon on
the xfce icon bar, and wifi-radar shows up on the applications menu under
internet.  It finds the neighbouring wifi access points, and I can select
them for automatic connection, and it appear to do so, at least for the
one I have at home, which does not have aa password.

What I haven't been able to figure out is hos to specify a wifi password
for the access points that *do* require a password.

-- hendrik