Suddenly no wifi after routine jessie upgrade

After the last time I did a routine safe-upgrade in jessie, my ASUS
1000HE no longer connects to wifi after a reboot and login.  Presumably
something is wrong with the network manater.  What it tells me after I
log in and have my desktop up in a coffee shop is that I do not have
privileges to alter the wifi configuration.

What to I have to do to regain these privileges?  Doing another upgrade
(in case it fixes a bug) will be difficult without wifi.

This is a coffee shop whose wifi has a wifi password, and never
intervenes by sending me to another web page to register.  Widi SSID and
password is all it uses.  This has worked smoothly for over a year now.

-- hendrik