Re: Is there any documentation on how to configure the Gnome Desktop environment?

On 09/11/2014 02:35 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

In particular, I’m interested in getting Gnome under Jessie to use a
terminal program that isn’t gnome-terminal.

Anybody know how to do that?

TLDNR: Gnome terminal, apparently, is broken if you use the “C”
locale.  It wants to see a UTF8 locale, and refuses to work with
anything less!  See Debian bug#746415 for details.  Programs like
lxterminal and simple xterm work fine, so I’d like to configure Gnome
to use one of them instead of the broken gnome-terminal.  But I
haven’t discovered the right magical incantation to do that yet.
Help?  Anybody?

Rick

I'm sorry that I'm not likely to be helpful. I haven't used Gnome in a long time, and I know it has changed a lot.

I'm curious, though. How do you launch the terminal window -- from the menu system / from a desktop or panel shortcut of some kind? What happens when you use a launcher and specify that it launch xterm, as in /usr/bin/xterm?

Surely Gnome doesn't subsume all terminal executables and cause them to launch the Gnome terminal?

I hope you find a solution.

Jape