Is there any documentation on how to configure the Gnome Desktop environment?

In particular, I’m interested in getting Gnome under Jessie to use a terminal program that isn’t gnome-terminal.

Anybody know how to do that?

TLDNR: Gnome terminal, apparently, is broken if you use the “C” locale.  It wants to see a UTF8 locale, and refuses to work with anything less!  See Debian bug#746415 for details.  Programs like lxterminal and simple xterm work fine, so I’d like to configure Gnome to use one of them instead of the broken gnome-terminal.  But I haven’t discovered the right magical incantation to do that yet.  Help?  Anybody?

Rick