Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 10/09/2014, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:04:46 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/09/2014, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

>> > The reason I agree with you is that if you need to swap anywhere
>> > near 40GB of swap, your computer will be crawling to the point
>> > where you might as well abort the guilty program (if you can
>> > navigate to do so), or reboot the compute.
>> >
>> > That said, I just found out my swap partition is 44GB for a 16GB
>> > semiconductor RAM.
>> >

>> So, does swapping work on your system?
>>
>> Does your RAM usage go above 50%, without swapping, and, above 90%,
>> with less than 5% of the swap capacity being used?
>
> Hi Bret,
>
> I can't answer your question in English, because I've never really
> understood Linux memory usage. There's an algorithm to figure out how
> much RAM to use in order to cache disk accesses, and another algorithm
> to figure out how much swap partition to use to substitute for RAM, and
> it just twirls my head.
>
> So the best thing I can do is show the results of a couple commands:
>
> slitt@mydesq2:~$ vmstat -SM
> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io----
>  r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo
>  0  0      0   7113    682   5172    0    0    14    20
> slitt@mydesq2:~$ free -h
>        total       used   free  shared buffers  cached
> Mem:     14G       8.0G   6.9G      0B    682M    5.1G
> -/+ buffers/cache: 2.2G    12G
> Swap:    44G         0B    44G

Hello.

I believe that, whilst you did not state the answer, the answer is
shown, in part, above.

With my limited understanding, what I deduce from the output of the
free -h command above, is that your system is shown as having 14GB (?)
of RAM, and, at the time of the command being run, 8GB of that (almost
60%, for 14GB, or, half, for 16GB) is being used, and, at that rate of
usage of the RAM, no swapping is occurring.

What output do you get for the free -h command, when >=90% of your RAM
is being used?

And, what is your swappiness setting?

I am putting these questions to youu, as you seem to have the same (or
similar) RAM and swap capacities, as my desktop system, that is this
system that I am using, in which I have the problem with the lack of
swapping.

At present, I have

"
bret@bret-dd-workstation:~$ free -h
free: invalid option -- 'h'
usage: free [-b|-k|-m|-g] [-l] [-o] [-t] [-s delay] [-c count] [-V]
  -b,-k,-m,-g show output in bytes, KB, MB, or GB
  -l show detailed low and high memory statistics
  -o use old format (no -/+buffers/cache line)
  -t display total for RAM + swap
  -s update every [delay] seconds
  -c update [count] times
  -V display version information and exit
bret@bret-dd-workstation:~$ free -g
Mem:            15         14          0          0          0          1
-/+ buffers/cache:         12          2
Swap:           40          1         39
"

--
Bret Busby
Armadale