Re: brasero requires systemd-sysv

----- Original Message -----
> From: "The Wanderer" <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
>
> On 09/03/2014 at 11:41 AM, Bzzzz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 11:12:24 -0400 (EDT) Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd also like to know if there are any features of brasero that
> >> *really* require systemd to be used as the init system --
> >> features that would not work with sysvinit.  I'm hoping Michael
> >> or some other developers can chime in on this one.
> >
> > This doesn't work like that; it is a _chain_ of dependencies.
>
> Which is in fact part of the problem: it results in something which does
> not have anything to do with a particular init system "depending on"
> that init system.

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say.

I can't imagine that brasero really needs functionality provided by one particular init system, but I want to be open to the idea that it may.  So far, though, the only needs that have been brought up are essentially "brasero needs X functionality, which can be found in package W.  Package W also provides Y functionality, which depends on systemd-sysv.  So therefore brasero depends on systemd-sysv, even though it doesn't *need* it."  Sound about right?

It gives me a better understanding of why the principle of "do one thing and do it well" is important.  I thought it was about producing good code.  Now I understand that it also reduces this kind of "entanglement".

While systemd-shim is currently an option, I'd still like to open a bug(s) on the packages responsible for the entanglement.  Get the problem fixed at its root.  But I'm going to try and learn as much as I can from this thread before reporting any bugs.  I want to be able to make educated suggestions for improvement.

-Rob