Re: preseed

Diogene Laerce wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >    gzip -d < initrd.gz | cpio --extract --verbose --make-directories --no-absolute-filenames
>
> Yes ! It did work. I still have to figure out how to fit this in the
> tuto.. But It works !

You didn't say what you were trying to do.  But if you are simply
adding files note that you can append to the end of the initrd.gz
without unpacking and repacking it.

For example if you want to add a preseed.cfg file you don't need to
unpack and repack.  You can just append to the end.  For instance
assuming that /srv/tftp/pxeboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz is a
stock Debian initrd.gz then this adds a preseed.cfg file to it.

  $ mkdir initrd-preseed
  $ cd initrd-preseed
  $ cat >preseed.cfg <<EOF
  d-i debian-installer/locale string en_US.UTF-8
  d-i console-keymaps-at/keymap select us
  d-i keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap select us
  d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto
  EOF
  $ find . -print | cpio -R 0:0 -o -H newc | gzip >> /srv/tftp/pxeboot/debian-installer/amd64/initrd.gz

The trick here is that initrd.gz files are gzip files and may be
appended to and concatenated together and will be unpacked okay as the
collection of appended files.

Bob