Re: finding a dependency chain

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out, for example, what causes brasero to ultimately depend on systemd.  I found a utility called debtree, but it produces too much output to be of use to me -- it shows all dependency chains starting at brasero, but I am only interested in the one that ends at systemd.
>
> Can anybody suggest another utility, or maybe the proper syntax to make debtree do what I want?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Rob

I just used vim to search through debtree's .dot output (for such a
complex thing, way easier than trying to look at the image file), and
then followed up by looking around in aptitude interactive mode.

Looks like Brasero pulls in gvfs, which depends on gvfs-daemons, which
depends on libsystemd-login0 and udisks2. Udisks2 depends on a couple
systemd libs directly (but not the "systemd" package), and
libpam-systemd. libpam-systemd depends on systemd.

There is also a chain where gvfs-daemons recommends policykit-1-gnome,
which depends on policykit-1, which depends on libpam-systemd, which
as above depends on systemd

This is in Sid, though, your mileage may vary.

Huh, and from this I just found that in Experimental there is a new
version of policykit-1 that depends on "systemd" directly and also...
libmozjs??? That sounds odd...

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers