Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:19:02 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>   However, it is considerably better at detecting errors than sysvinit.

This isn't the thing that repels me; a better detection of potential
problems is of course a good thing.

But it is the other aspects of systemd where I join Paul Venezia about
the philosophy behind O-S softwares and behind *nices.

Instead of a constellation of small pieces easily maintainable , systemd
is a real gas plant trying to put almost everything under its control.
The devs attitude is also a real concern: "we do whatever we want, we
don't accept any contradiction, we're the truth, nothing but the truth,
the only and whole truth; so if you're not pleased with that, just
fuck off".
Strangely, these times, it always come from the same place (no offense to
our German Linux users, just an observation); we've already seen that in
gnome.

As P.V. wrote (more or less;), the idea seems ok, but the realization is
terrible.

There a non-negligible chance that systemd could fall down at the end,
but it might take a long time (time while it'll screw us up every day)
because people that pretend to rewrite *unices for the good of others
often finish stumbling and failing.

…
> Upstart, sysvinit-core and openrc will definitely be with us for the
> next three years or so.

Here are the root of the problem, first (from the last answer of
Simon McVittie about my bug that you referenced), systemd is spreading
its tentacules so far away and so deeply that in a few time it will not
be possible to escape from it;
second, from first point and what I read between the lines it will sooner
or later be hegemonic, leaving no way-out.

Both points are UNACCEPTABLE from the O-S freedom and diversity
points of view.

Imagine a car manufacturer that would constraint you to exchange your
contact key with a start button tomorrow; may be it is progress, may be
not: the logic behind the button could eg: record timestamp and GPS coords
for "further investigation", but most probability is that your car
would fail start and you wouldn't know why unless reading a 2,000 pages
manual and discover (page 1,999) that it is because your trunk's open
(problem: today you planned to haul long wood beams home).

SysV is a Lego, even if it has its drawbacks, but only serve one purpose,
systemd pretends to feed you, teach you to read and write, wipe your ass,
but above all make you shut the hell up…  Not my way of life.