Re: Surprisingly cheap HP 255 G2 laptop; Wheezy possible?

Ron Leach wrote:
On 22/08/2014 18:05, Joe wrote:

I couldn't be bothered messing about with dual boot, so I carry a
pocket USB hard drive containing a sid installation, and also
have a
sid on a VM in Windows. I use the latter for Linux-only
software, and
the former for using public wi-fi.

[SNIP]  I searched quite a lot
for more details about Debian, even Linux generally, dual-booting
with W8.1, but the only returns I found were describing the
difficulties.  I thought there was a recent thread here, as well,
talking about the problems, but my searching has failed to pick
it up so far, though we've an archive of deleted messages so I'll
have a look through those.

Sometimes it useful to be a packrat.

I've found the initial messages of what appears to be several relevant threads [archive links for your reading pleasure ;]

Why UEFI?: Was UEFI
https://lists.debian.org/20140709165835.0653bc2a@mydesq2.domain.cxm

Grub2 missed Microsoft Windows 8.1  during Debian install
https://lists.debian.org/5380636A.2060302@actrix.gen.nz

Questions about new hardware & Debian (or Linux in general)
http://lists.debian.org/CANcvmg0KMcUsJw3kHbE4ejX1u07YUjH+cA+a7WcCPSh2Zd4L-Q@mail.gmail.com

UEFI install
http://lists.debian.org/50B518E3.2060107@rail.eu.org

New Mainboard.
http://lists.debian.org/d02e398f7197b478e4735c73cb5803a1.squirrel@fulvetta.riseup.net

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware
http://lists.debian.org/BLU0-SMTP15653E5DC15F374ACB750D0AE0C0@phx.gbl

HTH