Re: Surprisingly cheap HP 255 G2 laptop; Wheezy possible?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:48:35 +0200
niff <niff@msi.defcon1> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:02:19 +0100
> Ron Leach <ronleach@tesco.net> wrote:
>
> good morevening,
>
> > There's an attractive offer in UK for an HP 255 G2 laptop, from
> > Misco:
> >
> > http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q730917/
>
> As the others, I'd say "there's a wolf" (fr expression to show that
> something's very wrong), look at the price at amazon UK:
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IG51JA6?*Version*=1&*entries*=0
>
> misco:  261.60 inc VAT
> amazon: 403.17 inc VAT
>
> that's an almost… 65% difference! In IT world, this doesn't exist,
> except if the computer has been reconditioned 2-3 times and is
> shipped without warranty - but it is not mentioned (in fr, it is
> strictly forbidden to hide such information; in UK, I don't know).
>
> That also may be a typo; here, laws would force the saler to honor the
> publicized price, in UK, once again I don't know.
>
> Take your chances (or risks:)

I bought a 255G1 about six months ago for £263.

Here's a G2 for £220 inc VAT. There are a lot of processor options, and
quite a price range for the same basic machine.

http://www.ebuyer.com/636132-hp-255-g2-laptop-f7x83ea-abu

They're not amazingly powerful and the screen resolution isn't great,
but if those are adequate then it seems to be a good buy. I needed a
cheap Windows laptop to replace an eight-year-old Acer (the cheapest
available then, and still over £400) when XP was finally put down. I
use some proprietary hardware and software which doesn't do Linux.

I couldn't be bothered messing about with dual boot, so I carry a
pocket USB hard drive containing a sid installation, and also have a
sid on a VM in Windows. I use the latter for Linux-only software, and
the former for using public wi-fi.

--
Joe