Re: Surprisingly cheap HP 255 G2 laptop; Wheezy possible?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:26:41 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 22 August 2014 16:09:22 Steve Litt wrote:
> > It makes me sad that, since my kids went away to college in 2011,
> > the price of 4GB RAM laptops have remained stagnant. This laptop
> > translates into $361.32 USD, a price you could get in 2011 if you
> > aggressively shopped back to school sales
>
> Not in the UK you couldn't.  You have to believe Ron - I'll back him
> up - this laptop is surprisingly cheap in this country.
>
> Many things have their prices bumped up here.  For years it was far
> cheaper to travel to buy a car in mainland Europe as a special order
> and ship it over here than buy one here.  And as for software (you
> look at download prices for the UK as opposed to the USA) and IT,
> there is a huge extra premium for living here.
>
> Lisi

That's a shame, I didn't know that, and am sorry to hear that. All the
more reason for the OP to buy this computer: It would have been a good
deal in the US (or at least in Orlando, FL, USA).

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/Q730917/

I'm copying my buddy Joseph, who lives in England and keeps his
computers a long, long time due to cost. Now I understand his
motivation.

Lisi, in the US they have "garage sales", where homeowners put stuff
for sale on their front lawns. I've bought desktop computers, good
enough to run Debian/LXDE, for $3.00 to $20.00 USD in these garage
sales. Can you get similar deals on private-sale used desktops in the
UK?

Thanks,

SteveT