Re: networking fails with temporary systemd (was auto starting of ppp has stopped working)

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:10:02 PM UTC+5:30, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 14.08.2014 16:02, schrieb Rusi Mody:
> >> Since you don't have the /dev/ppp device, I assume you are not using
> >> udev 208-7?
> >> Could you please post the version of udev (and systemd) you are using?
> > Thanks Michael
> > Just ran an aptitude update.
> > After that:
> > udev is at 208-6 which is the latest I see

> If you are using sysvinit as PID 1, upgrade udev to 208-7 (currently
> available from unstable)

> > systemd is at 204-8 upgradable to 208-6

> If you are using systemd as PID 1, you should avoid mixing udev 208 with
> systemd 204 and always upgrade both [1].

> I'd suggest you install systemd-sysv (which will uninstall
> sysvinit-core) which will switch your default init to systemd.

> You will still have a fallback /lib/sysvini/init as long as the sysvinit
> package is installed and which you can use to boot the system in case
> the boot fails with systemd.

> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757777#35

Done finally!

sysvinit-core removed which pulled in systemd-sysv
and (to the best of my knowledge!) my system is still running!

So Thanks again!

[I would still like to very most humbly submit that sysvinit-core is an odd
name for something that is not core!  At the least the description lines
could have something to that effect...]