Re: Social Contract (was ... Re: Irony)

On Jo, 14 aug 14, 09:48:45, Joel Rees wrote:

> A four-four draw in the technical committees should have been a call
> to open the discussion to a wider user base, not a call for one member
> of the committee to make an arbitrary decision. Things are not
> functioning correctly "up" there, even if we ignore the Social
> Contract.

This seems to come up from time to time so I have to say:

    The vote against sysvinit was 7:1

Sysvinit didn't even beat Further Discussion (4:4), which in Debian's
voting system means "we would rather restart the discussion than
continue with sysvinit".

The 4:4 draw you are referring to, the one decided by the Chairman's
casting vote was for the systemd vs. upstart part of the vote.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00402.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00405.html

Add to this that the Technical Committee specifically designed the
resolution to be overridable by a General Resolution with a simple
majority (vs. the two thirds required by the constitution to override
the Technical Committee). Yet,

- *nobody* proposed a resolution to change systemd with upstart or stick
  with sysvinit
- the proposed resolution to decide between loose coupling vs. tight
  coupling didn't even gather enough sponsors.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/03/msg00000.html
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/03/msg00151.html

Kind regards,
Andrei