Re: Towards an instructive minimalist intall of Openbox

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 12 Aug 2014 at 09:15:59 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2014, Brian wrote:
> >
> > > xserver-xorg-core and xinit are insufficient by themselves. To
> > > have startx bring up X you need /usr/bin/X, which is in the
> > > xserver-xorg package. But xserver-org depends on one of
> > > xserver-xorg-video-* and one of xserver-xorg-input-* (I use
> > > xserver-xorg-input-evdev).
> >
> > Maybe, I should clarify: when I say I installed xserver-xorg-core,
> > etc,, I don't mean I installed just THAT package.  I let apt-get
> > installed the dependencies, too; but not the recommends.  The
> > latter I did manually as needed.
>
> The clarification is welcome but I had worked out that is what you
> did. As it happens, xserver-xorg-core doesn't have any recommended
> packages and xserver-org (and the other packages mentioned) really
> are needed for a functional X.

All that must have been taken care of automatically by the depends,
because I didn't manually install xserver-org, and all the other stuff
said to be needed for X to work.

Okay.  I dug out my notes...  Not really.  They were neatly filed in a
folder labeled "Debian 7-Beta 4 Install." ;-)

Anyway, here's the pertinent lines:

"Installed xserver-xorg-core, xinit, openbox, xterm, bzip2, +
dependencies (basic GUI);

"Successful!  Openbox working..."

That's ALL I did regarding the basic GUI.  I did later install obmenu to
configure Openbox, and debianmenu to get floating right-click menus, and
much later LXPanel to make the system easier to use.

As I remember, with the previous install tests in the VM, I didn't
install all that all at once.  (I didn't keep notes on the those tests
unfortunately.)  I must have decided with the real install to do the
basic GUI all at once for brevity.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  Maybe, I'll take all this, do
some more testing, and write a Debian HOWTO.