Re: Towards an instructive minimalist intall of Openbox

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 10 aug 14, 17:30:20, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > I'm posting to the list instead of privately sending it to you, so
> > others can comment or correct errors.
>
> You asked for it :p
>
> > III. INSTALL X
> >
> > 	A. Quick & Dirty, but bloated:  'apt-get install xorg'
> > 	B. Lean & Mean:  'apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xinit'
>
> Are you sure about this? As far as I can tell this will not install

For B? Yes. Basically, that's all I installed to get X running, but
without a window manager, you couldn't do anything with it.  The window
manager came next.

I let apt-get take care of dependencies. I did do a lot of studying on
"easy" "minimal" xserver installs, and that option was a basic one and
satisfied my needs. "Recommends" were not by default installed, but I
did take note of them for possible later install.

I also did 3 or 4 test installs on VirtualBox running on a Fedora 12
host on the same machine I was going to install Wheezy on. The whole
testing process along with the research took about 6 weeks before I did
the real thing.  At the time, Wheezy was still testing.  I did the real
install as a dual boot with Fedora 12 when installer was a beta.

> any of the xserver-xorg-video- or xserver-xorg-input- packages. One
> would need at a minimum xserver-xorg-input-evdev and the -video-
> package corresponding to the video adapter (or one of -vesa or
> -fbdev, but these give poor performance).

IIRC, the base install (terminal only) installed the default video
driver for my nVidia-based card -- nouveau.  That was before I did
anything involving X.  After I had everything set up the way I wanted
and working, several months later I installed the proprietary nVidia
driver replacing nouveau.

You might not believe it, but I basically had no problems with this
step-by-step install, and the system just hums along quite nicely.
Very snappy.  Very stable.  Never crashed.