Re: Software compatibility between different architectures?

Martin T <m4rtntns@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> how compatible are drivers on ports for different CPU architectures,
>>> e.g. I have a USB HSDPA modem which works great on Wheezy port for
>>> x86 architecture, but can I expect it to work on Wheezy port for
>>> ARM?

>> If your ARM platform's USB driver works, then yes, you can expect the
>> exact same support for any USB device you plug into it.

> I see. So usually there are no driver or other software issues because
> of different CPU architecture, i.e. once the kernel successfully boots
> up on ARM platform one can expect everything work exactly same as on
> wide-spread x86/x86-64 architecture?

Only if your devices uses in kernel drivers. If you need to use a
binary-only driver supplied by the manufacturer of the device, it will
not work.

Note: Some ARM-systems (Raspberry Pi for example) don't provide enough
(read: only about 200mW and not the full 500mW) power on their on-board
USB ports. Devices which want to draw more power than provided will fail
to work and in most cases hard reset the ARM-system.

Usage of a seperate powered USB hub is advised.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.